Facing online exams is another unexpected challenge brought out by the pandemic. Since education is something that cannot be held up until the social distancing is over, studies and exams have to go on. Since this is a new concept for those who grew up with traditional education, there is very little idea on how to face online exams. The testing methods would mostly be similar but may have slight changes from the physical exam papers. The technology used for these online exams may differ from one educational institution to another, depending on the course requirements. However, you can have a general idea of how to prepare for an online exam and how to face it successfully without stress.
Preparation Before the Exam
Proper preparation for online exams comes in handy when you face it. Here are some tips to follow in preparing for your online exam.
- Learn the concepts. Don’t try to memorize lots of texts when studying. Instead, try to learn the concepts and how they need to be applied to the questions at the exam. This takes a lot of pressure off from trying to by-heart the lessons. Make summary sheets so that you can easily remember the points.
- Create a revision routine. Start revising early so that you won’t get crushed at the last minute. The more you revise a lesson the more you will remember it easily. This will reduce the stress so that you have time to revise on areas you don’t feel confident about.
- Tackle exam anxieties. Sitting for exams online is one of the most challenging tasks of online education. However, don’t let the anxiety get on you. Try to manage your worries by reducing the possibilities that could go wrong. If you have studied everything pretty well, you simply need to consider providing answers in the allocated time.
- Read and understand guidelines. This should be something you need to do well ahead of the exam. Know the date, time, rules, and regulations of the exam.
- Know the format of the test. Understand the key factors on how you should answer especially if you need to pick a few questions out of many. These are the things that you could mistakenly do in online exams due to panicking.
- Practice with mock exams. Practice tests are a good way to boost your confidence levels about online exams. Your college would most probably provide mock exams for you to have an idea about how the exam goes. If not, you can still find many online, where you can check your speed and be updated.
- Check the computer. This is a critical factor as the whole exam depends on your device. Make sure that your laptop is fully charged and that your chargers function well. Check both the hardware and software well beforehand. If you have faced issues with your internet connection, make sure to relocate it and check it for proper connection. Usually, LAN connections are more stable than Wi-Fi or mobile connections.
- Arrange everything you need. Keep a clock or a watch by the side so that you can easily check the time. Keep your notes, books, and reference materials close for open book exams. Don’t forget the calculator along with your stationery.
- Plan your time. Time management is another important thing in online exams. Since most exams don’t allow you to come back to a previously answered question, make sure to divide your time wisely for each question. Do not waste a lot of time attempting a question that you find difficult. After the time allocated for that particular part is over, you need to move into the next.
- Reduce distractions. Find the perfect setting to face the online exams. This would often be your study room. If you are struggling to arrange your room, here are some important tips on how to arrange your study space for online learning from home.
- Take it easy. Don’t stress out yourself in preparing for the exam. Study as you would do for a normal exam. The only thing strange here would be having to provide answers through the computer.
Be Relaxed and Focused During the Exam
Online exams could be stressful even more than facing exams physically in the classroom. Hence, you need to know better how to keep calm and face an online exam successfully. These tips would help you to stay focused during the exam.
- Check on the time. Most online exams show a countdown of the time remaining on the screen. Even if there isn’t, you can check the time frequently from your clock while doing the exam. This shouldn’t stress you but help you in managing the time for each question to be answered.
- Print and save copies of the questions and answers. Take screenshots of the questions so that you can copy-paste them later. It is also recommended to record your responses by saving copies to be on the safe side.
- Don’t leave the tab. Never leave the test page during online exams. Even if you are allowed to access information on the internet, do not use the same tab to search for anything. This is because once you leave the site, you won’t be able to come back to the place where you left off. So it’s always better to open a different tab or window for surfing the online content during the exam.
- Check your work before submitting it. Check your answers well before you submit your answers. Human error can cause you to type something unintentionally or click something. So check for such possibilities before you hit the submit button.
- Don’t panic if a technical issue occurs. These issues occur very rarely and if they do, you shouldn’t give up. The first thing to do is to take a screenshot of the error message or write down the error code. Then call your exam supervisor immediately to notify them. They will then guide you on what should be done.
- Check and confirm your submission. After you hit the submit button, make sure your submission is complete by checking all the messages that pop afterward. In some cases, you may need to click another button to confirm your submission. Be careful and don’t miss anything at the last minute.